Sunday, January 30, 2011

Excited

Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I’m kind of excited. There are several things happening this year. New things. New challenges.

First - In February, if my check got there in time, (yes, Dawn, I know checks are antiquated lol), I’ll be taking an online class about plotting through motivation by Campbell. Maybe it will make my synapses snap a little brighter. Maybe it’ll be a slap to the back of my head. It’s been awhile since I’ve taken one and I’m soooo looking forward to it. There are four stories waiting for me to get my act together, as I said in my previous posting. I’ll keep you informed unless I screw it up. :)

Second – I’ve registered for the RWA’s National Conference. It will be the second conference I ever attended. This one’s huge. This one’s a bit scary. I will be going as President so I’ll also be attending the Leadership seminar. I’m sometimes good at talking to people one on one or in small groups but put me in a large bunch and I become a mute with a brain seizure. I’m going to make this a challenge to improve myself – to go out there - say “hi”, introduce myself and to string more than two words together.

Third - If the above-mentioned workshop helps, then I will be pitching at least one story at this conference. Trying to make someone interested in your tale - your vision in just a couple of sentences can make you feel as if you’re under a hundred feet without an air tank. It is a tense time for anyone who writes. I am definitely no exception though I’ve done it a couple of times. It becomes another place where I can sharpen my skills. I’ll also be perfecting my spiel at the LIRW’s annual luncheon.

As the year gallops on I’m sure other ventures will present themselves. What kind of challenges have you set for yourself this year?

2 comments:

  1. Some ppl are natural leaders and I think u got it, D ;) BIGGEST challenge 4 me is 2 not only finish revising this bloody WIP but have both synosis and query re-worked and prepared by June...we'll see :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Excited about conference too!

    Yay!

    ReplyDelete