Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Make it Stop



Have you ever had a song stuck in your head?  I mean, REALLY stuck, like every blank moment is consumed by lyrics or you're thinking of something and realize there's background music so you tune into it and when it comes to the fore front you scream ACK, no, not that again! That's what has been happening to me for the past two weeks.  When I'm on the computer - it's there.  When I'm driving - it's there. When I'm cooking , at work, trying to write  - it's there.

Patsy Cline's Sweet Dreams, Loretta Lynn's Coal Miner's Daughter, Cher's Half Breed and Abba's Dancing Queen, all have taken turns to tilt me over to crazy. And it's not like it's the whole song, it's just the chorus or two or three lines played over and over and OVER again.  Some times I get a break and another singer gets a few moments but that reprieve doesn't last long.

I've had this problem before but not usually this bad.  What I do to counteract this is hum Schubert's Unfinished Symphony #8.  I hear you snickering.  Stop it. Hey, whatever works, right? The thing is,  I hum what was presented in an old Casper the Friendly Ghost cartoon; the section of music you hear when Casper first meets Schubert.  Okay you can laugh now. (I wanted to include the cartoon but it wouldn't let me load the video.   Here's the link.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbDqon8-804&list=PL25B80D600F5715C4 )
Go on , check it out, it's short.  I'll wait.  Hmm hmmm hm hm h  hmm

Oh good you're back. Isn't that a beautiful, catchy tune? It helps to block out the uninvited songs without getting lodged in my brain.

I know you probably have had a song that just won't let go.  What kind of tricks did you do to get rid of it? Tell me - please. Hurry, I hear Aretha singing R-E-S-P-E-C-T and Sly and the Family Stone is right behind witBaby baby baby light my fire.  Boom shaka-laka-laka Boom shaka-laka-laka.    Help!

PS. How many of you remember that particular Casper cartoon?

10 comments:

  1. I give into the urge to sing it over and over and over until every fiber of my being is sick of that tune and wills it away. Maybe that's not the best approach, but when I fight it, the song seems to come back more and more.

    But hey, I love those songs. Dancing Queen is hardly a dirge. You can really belt those out with a smile on your face! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Julie, I'm not an ABBA fan so it's not much fun especially when it's just the words: You can dance, you can (garbled lyrics) time of your life
      See that girl, (garbled lyrics) the Dancing Queen.

      Can you now see why it it's so distracting? lol

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. I had one stuck in my head just recently and thought it would be with me for eternity. Ugh! I hate that and I haven't found anything that works. I don't even want to think the title to the other song in case it comes back. But thank you, Donna. Now I think Dancing Queen is going to haunt me for a while. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooo, don't even think of that song or the other one. Hum along with me, okay. : )
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Holy cow, Donna, you must have cameras in my house. I've had this exact same problem all morning and it goes on all the time otherwise. I recently discovered this band and loved this one song until the same line just kept playing over and over and over and over in my head. Sometimes it helps if I play it loud in the car, sing my brains out to it, then move on. That didn't work today, but of course NOW I have the theme from Casper stuck there instead.
    Thanks, Donna. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Lynne. Didn't mean for that to happen. Hope it goes away and it's not replaced with else.

      Appreciate the comments. Thanks

      Delete
  4. I always get earworms. Always. And it's usually some dreadful pop song from a one hit wonder. I know, torture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely torture. So that's what they're calling it "earworms". Is that like the, what was it, the Twilight Zone episode where the earwig gets into the man's brain? Jeez.

      Thanks for coming by Jeannie.

      Delete
  5. All...the time! Yesterday, I kept singing Sade & had the nerve to change up the songs but the same singer. Sometimes my kids'll sing a song over & over again & then outta nowhere I'll start singing it after they've finished. lol! All good, crazy fun. And yes, I do remember Casper ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tuere. Are you sure the kids aren't doing it on purpose? lol It's good to see I've got company. : )

      Thanks for coming by.

      Delete