Saturday, January 19, 2013

When the Muses Refuses





      "Put the pen down.  Now! I can't stand it any longer.  It pains me to watch."

      "But they say to allow yourself to write crap."

       "Not this much.  Drop the pen before your notebook slams shut and refuses to ever open again," said my muse Diana, whose spectral essence appeared, this time, as a translucent pissed-off pixie.

       I plopped my arm across the pages and gripped my pen more tightly.   "But Nora Roberts said something like, ‘if it's not on the page it can't be fixed’."

        "She was misquoted."

        "How do you know?"

        "Her muse, Terri, is my neighbor. We talk a lot.  I'm sure you've heard of her. She's quite the celeb among writers."

        I can't believe it.  My muse is name-dropping.  "What does that have to do with my writing?"

        "Nothing, just passing on some info.  As a matter of fact, Terri and I went out partying last night."

         "So that's where you were yesterday." I tossed my pen across the desk. "If you don't like what I'm producing, help me.  That's what you're supposed to be doing.”  

         "I can't."

         "Why not?"

         “My nails aren't dry."  She waved her hand in a half-hearted manner.

          "What?"  

          "And I have a headache.  I'm still a little hungover." 

          "Are you making up excuses? You don't have a real head."  

          "A mere technicality.  Why don't you call one of those writing group member friends of yours?"

         "Because they're probably WRITING."  I wiggled my jaw to relieve some of the pressure that had been building up. "Get your airy ass over here and give me some ideas."

          Diana floated to the desk, sat primly on the edge, and stared at me. 

          "Well?"

          "I'm thinking."

          "And?"

          "Um, this is a little embarrassing.  You sure you can't call someone?"

          "Double sure.  Come on, spill it, toots."

          "Well, um, I've been experiencing what we muses refer to as stimuli dysfuncti.  It would appear I'm in the same boat as you."
          
             I slumped in my chair and let out a long sigh. 

            Ah jeez, figures.  I wonder if I could sell her on ebay.

        
*************************************








Jolyse Barnet graced me by nominating my blog for the Reality award.  Thank you so much.  Now here are seven facts about me.

1) I'm a Taurus.

2) Though I'm usually laid back, I can have a temper. This has surprised some people.  I don't  know why. : )

3) I like doing crafts.  I make cards, jewelry, stained glass, I sew and work with wood.

4) I don't like wine and am not much of a drinker, maybe 0-5 drinks a year.

5) I love find the word or hidden object games.

6) I'd like to try zip lining one day though I'm afraid of heights.

7) Though I really treasure quiet and solitude and seek it every day, I'd also like to be more sociable.  These two sides of me can really create a problem at times; people never know which one it's going to be.  lol


The  following are the five bloggers I'd like to nominate for this award.  Thank  you ladies for your words, ideas and creativity.

Debora Dennis   -    http://deboradennis.blogspot.com  

Lynne Cannon  -  http://littleloosecannon.blogspot.com/

Debora  Dale -  http://deboradale.com

Dawn  -  http://romancepuppy.blogspot.com/

Catie Rhodes  -  http://catierhodes.com



Here are the rules for The Reality Award :
1. Show appreciation of the blogger who nominated you and link back to them in your post.
2. Add the award logo to your blog.
3. Share 7 things about yourself.
4. Nominate 5 – 10 or so bloggers you admire.
5. Contact your chosen bloggers to let them know.







13 comments:

  1. That was so funny! Well, you know - not the "not writing" part, but the post. ;-) Now I'm going to be picturing my muse flitting around me which will probably distract me. LOL

    Congrats on the award! Much deserved. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhonda and thanks for sharing this post on FB. : ) : ) : )

      Well if she starts flitting around, tell her to either sit down or get out. That usually quiets them. She might not go to work but at least she won't be such a diversion.

      Delete
  2. I think that's a conversation I could easily have with my muse too!
    Thanks for the award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite welcome. You have a really nice blog.

      Unfortunately, I think, this conversation happens too often with too many people. Oh well. : )

      Delete
    2. Debbie posted the second post in her 52 Ways to Joy. It's about sunrises and appreciation. I think it's really good. Her next post had a recipe for Bloody Marys so enjoy both but not at the same time. : )

      Delete
  3. I love this post. Funny on one side, frustrating on the other. Hang in there. We all go through it.

    I liked learning more about you and would enjoy seeing some of your stained glass work one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know but I feel my muse has left and is trying to rent out her space to an ogre or troll or something that will be no help at all to me.

      I was thinking of doing some kind of post on the other passions/talents that writers possess.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Loved this, Donna, and can so identify with you in your struggle. My muse and I had a falling out not too long ago and he (yes, my muse is a he - and Freddie is his name-o) went packing. We have this passionate relationship that is as thrilling as it is infuriating. I've found it's when I shut him out that he comes crawling back. The less I think about him, the more he wants my attention. If I really ignore him, he sometimes whispers sweet nothings. I pretend to ignore them so when they're written, I can say the words are my own. It works for me. Sometimes. :-/

    Thanks for the blog award!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol Made your muse crawl. Hey if Freddie is not holding up his side of the relationship, I don't blame you. Hey you're a good writer. You don't need him.

    You're welcome. You have an interesting blog. I particularly liked the paranormal investigations though I could never see what you were talking about until you had pointed them out to me in person.


    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the nomination, girl! Hope you've had a wonderful weekend. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome. You have a totally different blog. Love Freaky Fridays.

    Hope you had a great weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is hysterical!

    Thank you so much for my award!

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Sallie. You take care of your sweet self - get better.

      Delete